Welcome to the CICP’s webpage,
The Research Center in Political Science’s mission and final objective has remained unchanged since its creation in 2015: to achieve the highest quality of research in Political Science in Portugal. CICP results from the merger of two research units (NEAPP and NICPRI), a merger that aimed at creating synergies and concentrating human capital in the complementary subfields within the scope of Political Science. The two previous research units, as well as the CICP, gained the FCT’s recognition by obtaining the maximum classification and being distinguished as the best existing research units in its scientific field. Given the organic merger of the two units with an “excellent” grade in the research field of political science attributed by the FCT, as well as the extensive evolution of the activities of the two units in the last evaluation periods (2003-2008 and 2008-2012) and the renewal of the same classification for CICP in 2015, it is a reasonable expectation to compete for maintaining the highest grade attributed by the FCT: Excellent.
This mission must be accomplished by pursuing three general objectives:
(1) maintaining the production of quality researches;
(2) ensuring CICP’s position/relevance at the national and international levels;
(3) promoting the transfer of knowledge and dissemination of results to the civil society.
The main strategies of this research unit are:
– To promote the publication in international peer-review journals in close connection with the needs of the society in which they operate, in order to emphasize CICP’s presence in the research field of political science.
– to increase the number of formal and informal affiliations in international research networks, in order to provide the demand for research agendas in collaboration with external researchers (in Portugal and abroad).
– to promote a policy of scientific employment by recruiting promising researchers for Post-Doctoral fellowships that fit the mission and objectives of the center.
– to promote the policy of financial and academic support for doctoral students of the doctoral programs associated with CICP.
– to encourage the publication and indexing of the CICP scientific journal “PERSPECTIVAS – Journal of Political Science”, in an attempt to combine the initiation of young researchers in publishing practices and the creation of a space for more experienced authors to disseminate the results of their research.
– to offer conditions for the presentation of Research Financing Proposals to external subsidies that promote some financial autonomy.